Research Group Leader : Dr. Fouad Laoutid
Secretariat : +32(0)126.96.36.199
The main research activities conducted in this unit are focused on the development of functional (bio)polymeric-based materials through sustainable processes. Sustainable solvent free reactive melt-processing, such as reactive and enzymatic extrusion or solid-state condensation are used for:
- Developing new (bio)polymeric materials from renewable building blocks.
- Upgrading (bio)polymers properties by chemical modification (grafting functional groups, chain extension/branching, reactive plasticization, ….)
- Compatibilization of (bio)polymer blends
Our goal is to develop new (bio)polymeric (nano)composites with specific functional properties such as:
- Designing inherent flame retardant (bio)polymers.
- Developing smart (bio)polymers, self-healing, shape memory, electro-stimulating properties, …
- Tuning the biodegradability of natural polymers.
- Enhancing (bio)polymers foamability and film-forming ability.
- Upgrading properties of recycled polymers